[FWM News] April Updates

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Apr 5 17:23:19 PDT 2010

The 2010 season is winding down...  After a busy March with races at
Mammoth, Squaw, and Mt. Rose, along with national championships at Sun
Valley at the end of the month, we're down to our final event in
mid-April with the season finals and banquet at Mammoth.  If you're in
the hunt for a season award, this is your last chance to put some
points on the board for the final season standings!

  http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/current/standings

****Downhill competitors: please call (760) 934-0642 or email the Race
Department at racedepartment at mammoth-mtn.com by Friday Apr. 9 if you
are submitting your entry this week for the Mammoth DH's on Apr. 12-13
- we need to get a head count of the DH field by the end of this week.

Mammoth Season Finals (Apr. 13-18)
----------------------------------

The final races of the Far West Masters 2010 season will be held next
week at Mammoth Mountain. Our season finals will feature the full range
of disciplines - DH, SG, GS, and SL - and wind up with the season
banquet on Saturday Apr. 17 and a Sunday "fun race" dual. See the
Mammoth Season Finals Updates news item for details.

  http://farwestmasters.org/#news_0323

Please get your entries in this week if you haven't already - you can
print your entry form and mail or fax to the Mammoth Race Department
(see the Season Schedule page for contact info) or register online at
AlpineReg.com. Banquet reservations can be made on your entry form,
with payment to Mammoth Mountain as for your entry fees.

  http://farwestmasters.org/services/raceentries - print race entry
  http://www.alpinereg.com - online registration at AlpineReg.com

Pam Warman Fundraiser Apr. 13
-----------------------------

If you're coming from the Tahoe or the Bay Area, consider attending the
Pam Warman fundraiser event at Sierra-at-Tahoe on Tuesday April 13th,
2010, with fun races, dinner party and auctions, including items
donated by current and former US Ski Team members, friends and local
businesses. Former PSIA Team Alumni Sean Warman and Kevin Mitchell as
well as current PSIA-W Tech Team members will be leading clinics.
Current and past Olympians and US Ski Team Members attending are Steve
Nyman, Scott Macartney, Jake Zamansky, Marco Sullivan, Eric Fisher,
Jeremy Transue, Josh Transue, and Bryan Friedman. Pam set some of our
Far West Masters courses last season, and was a (the first female) tech
on the world cup. Details and signup form can be found at
http://pamwarman.webs.com.

Sun Valley Nationals
--------------------

After opening with some "west coast" weather on the first two days that
forced the organizers to scramble and readjust the SC and SG race
schedules, the national championships at Sun Valley finished with three
days of outstanding racing. The sun came out, the courses were firm and
fast and beautifully prepared, and the competitors were challenged by
both the courses and the large field of racers from all over the
country and some Canadian friends.

Far West had 30 competitors who put out a number of excellent
performances. Kurt Belden won the SL in M06, perhaps the strongest of
all the men's classes, while Pierre Jeangirard came back from a
near-season-long layoff due to knee problems to win the GS in M07 (and
barely missed taking the overall combined title by less than a smidge).
On the women's side, Deb Lewis swept W07, backed up on the podium by
Linda Crowell in second overall, with Julie Rolfe (W06) and Sandy Hogan
(W09) also climbing on the podium to collect hardware. The Group D men
were led by Gate de Mattei who dominated M12 with fabulous skiing all
week.

Many other outstanding performances came from our Far West racers in
all classes - with so many strong racers in the field, a great race
might not get you on the podium but nonetheless should be savored and
appreciated. Rees Palermo had the experience of a lifetime, drawing the
#1 start in the Group B GS after patiently waiting years to work up to
an age class with an early start on a clean course. Julie Rolfe won the
"good karma" award - after finding Deb Lewis's lost SL race skis that
another competitor had mistakenly taken and carrying them to the
starting line, she was rewarded on the next day when Elizabeth Kennedy
had an extra helmet for the GS after Julie got to the hill without that
vital piece of equipment.

Complete results are available on the ussamasters.org Nationals page.

   http://ussamasters.org/2010/nationals

Mt. Rose McKinney Cup

Mt. Rose results - coming to the web site Results page soon!!

(Apologies for the delay in posting the Mar. 27-28 Mt. Rose race
results. The Scoring Director was on the road all week for the national
championships at Sun Valley and didn't have time to track down the
results data files from Mt. Rose. We'll get the results posted as
quickly as possible this week.)