[FWM News] Mid-March News

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Mar 22 23:20:52 PDT 2010

Plenty of action as we swing into spring in the Far West.  A great
weekend of spring weather and racing last weekend at Squaw for the
Bernard Cup GS races; more on the way with the McKinney Cup this coming
weekend.  Still to come: national championships at Sun Valley next
week; a great week of racing planned for our season finale at Mammoth
Apr. 13-18 and the season banquet.

*****Entries have been slow coming in for Mt. Rose races this coming
weekend.  This is always a great weekend and the weather forecast is
calling for warm and sunny spring conditions, so if you can make it
please get your entry in and come on out!  See below for contact number
for putting in your entry this week.

Mt. Rose McKinney Cup Info
--------------------------

Our next race and the penultimate event on the 2010 Far West calendar
is the Mt. Rose McKinney Cup on Mar. 27-28. Saturday will be a SL,
followed by a full-length GS Sunday; both races will be on the Slide
Mtn (east) side of Mt. Rose. Morning registration will be at the Mt.
Rose base lodge.

Mt. Rose is always a popular race, where racers receive a warm welcome
and a breakfast buffet at morning checking followed by fun racing and
an apres sk party. Please send your entries in!!! Race entries will be
accepted anytime this week. If you haven't yet sent your entry but
would like to compete this weekend, please give race coordinators Rees
and Dani Palermo a call at (775) 345-6709 - leave a message with your
name, bib #, age class or year born, and your phone number so you can
be reached if needed.

Squaw Bernard Cup
-----------------
The 2010 Bernard Cup race weekend at Squaw Valley was a spring-fest of
GS racing on the always-challenging Exhibition race hill. With
delightfully warm and sunny spring racing conditions, competitors
started the day with a firm first course which gradually softened
without getting sloppy. Our scheduling experiment with holding 3 races
in 2 days by taking 3 runs each day turned out very well, as the Squaw
race crew worked continuously through the weekend to maintain good
conditions.

A good turnout of competitors was leavened with a welcome dash of new
faces and a weekend with lots of smiles all around. The key tactical
decisions of the day were (a) sunscreen and (b) The Road. Spectators at
the mid-course crossing were treated to a wide variety of styles on the
transition onto the steep middle pitch of the course (and thankfully no
serious crashes, just a few "fly-bys" of the gate below the breakover).

The weekend wrapped up on Sunday with awards on the deck and the
presentation of the Bernard Cup trophies to the fastest overall man and
woman racer of the weekend, using the age-handicapping formula created
by founder Bob Bernard to "level" the competition across age groups.
Hometown boy Kurt Beldon once again demonstrated speed and consistency
to take the men's title in a close battle, while Deb Lewis led the
women's field. Special recognition goes to the hard-charging Gate de
Mattei, who posted phenomenal runs all weekend out of class 12 to
finish a very close third in the final standings - that's 80 years and
and still smoking hot!

Mammoth Season Finals Updates
-----------------------------

Updated information on the April season finals races and banquet at
Mammoth has been posted on the Season Schedule page. We're making one
change in the race schedule: a second DH has been added on Wednesday
4/14, so there will be two DH training runs on Tuesday and two DH races
on Wednesday. (Reminder: training runs are mandatory for USSA DH
competitions) For details, see the event information announcement,
which includes information about group rate lodging packages and
discounts available to the Far West Masters.

The season banquet will be Saturday Apr. 17 at the Mountainside
Conference Center in the Mammoth Main Lodge. This is a nice room that
we've used before and provides a pleasant setting for the evening's
buffet dinner, season award, and raffle and auction activities. See the
banquet info flyer for details. Sign up for the banquet along with your
race entries to make your reservation; indicate number of tickets,
bring family and friends!

Race Info Announcement:

http://farwestmasters.org/announcements/2010/RaceInfo_Mammoth_Apr2010_Season_Finals.pdf
Banquet Details: