[FWM News] December wrapup, bring on the new year!

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Sun Jan 2 20:36:24 PST 2011

December is a wrap, on to January.  Hopefully everyone is getting a
chance to get out and experience our record December snowfall - happy
new year to all!

We have 3 days of SL racing coming up this weekend following our
holiday break.  Friday is the always-excellent Viva Italia
double-header at Heavenly, followed by a weekend return to Sierra at
Tahoe, rapidly becoming a favorite stop on the Far West Masters
circuit.  Please get your entries in - enter online at
http://SkiRaceReg.com to ensure your entry is received by the
deadline.  (Contact raceadmin at farwestmasters.org if you need
assistance).

The following race weekend will be 3 days of SG racing at Mammoth on
Jan. 21-23, with two of those races opening this season's National
Speed Series.

The location of the viewing and rosary this coming Tuesday for Rick
Conrado has been changed to Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Covina,
where Wednesday's funeral mass will also be held.

Congratulations to Far West racer Nicole Brill, who has been named to
the US team for the international 2011 Winter Deaflympics in Slovakia
in February. We will look forward to hearing about her results and
experiences!

Wild West December Wrapup
-------------------------

It's been the Wild Far West Masters this December as we wrap up the end
of the first month of our 2010-2011 season. The season started with
excellent early season conditions throughout the Sierras at
Thanksgiving, giving everyone opportunity to get on snow before our
successful 3-race opening weekend at Mammoth Mountain.

The "storm door" opened big-time in mid-December, with the scheduled
Squaw SL weekend sacrificed to a week-long onslaught of "copious
precipitation" as a relentless series of storms pushed through the west
coast. Many Tahoe areas received 6-8 feet of snow or more, while
Mammoth accumulated a 10-15 ft total before the sunshine finally
returned. The storm track has continued to pump through the Sierra ski
resorts over the holidays, with many areas reporting record December
snowfalls.

We've also had some sad moments this month, with the loss of our two
good friends Dave Smith and Rick Conrado. They will both be missed.

Nicole Brill named to US DeafOlympics Team

We recently received a note from Nicole Brill, who's raced with Far
West Masters in recent years and trains with the masters at Mt. Rose,
with the news that she's been named to the US team for the 2011 Winter
Deaflympics. Here's a bit more from Nicole about the Deaflympics:

For those who don't know me, I'm a 35 year old deaf mother with two
boys who's married to a flight instructor operating a small business
out of Stead Airport. I also have a full time job as a hydrologist. The
U.S. Deaf Sports Federation (USADSF) has selected me for the second
time to represent the U.S. for the 2011 Winter Deaflympics in Slovakia.
This elite international athletic event will be held on February 18-27,
2011. The U.S. is sending 45 athletes to Slovakia to compete in Alpine
and Nordic Skiing, Curling, and Ice Hockey. I am only deaf female
alpine skier who will be competing in the Alpine event at Vysoke Tatry.

Being selected on the US Winter Deaflympics Team is an honor and a
major achievement. The biggest challenge that I face after being
selected to the team is to not only prepare for the competition but
also secure funding to represent the USA at the Deaflympics. Unlike
hearing Olympians or Paralympians, elite deaf and hard of hearing
athletes do not receive financial support from the United States
Olympic Committee and must raise their own funds for international
competition. Each of us must raise $3,500 to cover all costs, including
international airfare, room and board, training expenses, fees and
apparel. So far, I've raised over $1400 from local businesses in Reno.

If anyone wants to help support Nicole's fundraising, contact her at
deafskibum at yahoo.com or make a donation in her name through the USA
Deaf Sports Federation, PO Box 910338, Lexington, KY 40591-0338.
(USADFS is registered 501(c)(3) non-profit, so contributions are
tax-deductible). To learn more about the Deaflympics, visit
http://www.2011deaflympics.org.