[FWM News] Mammoth Season Opener

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Wed Dec 11 11:09:08 PST 2013

The 2014 race season has begun!  We kicked off the season with 2 GS races at Mammoth.

The next event will be a weekend of SL races at Alpine Meadows on Dec. 21-22, before the holiday
break.  We've been talking to the organizers and tentatively will expand to planned program to add
a second SL race on Saturday.  Details and updates for the additional race registration will be
confirmed today and posted to the news list and web sites.

Mammoth Season Opener
---------------------
The 2014 race season opened Sunday under sunny skies and brisk temperatures at Mammoth. Saturday's
racing was cancelled as a strong, exceptionally cold storm system moved into the Sierras on Friday
evening and brough a welcome 1-2 feet of snow to most of our ski areas. The weekend schedule was
adjusted to run the two GS races planned for Saturday on Sunday, rather than the scheduled SL race.

Despite a short delay early in the first run, as rising temperatures creating condensation on the
timing beams scrambled the timing crew to resync the finish equipment, the races went smoothly
under sunny skies, light winds, and welcome warming through the day. The racing surface held up
well, with some softer snow on top slipped clear through the day and a good firm track on the lower
sections of the course allowing competitors to let loose coming off the steep pitch.

Complete results are posted on the Race Results page along with the new Season Standings rankings
for 2014.

http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2014/results
http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2014/standings

Race photographer Sue Morning shot both races and photos are available online at the Mammoth
Sharpshooter photo site if you didn't a chance to check your photos on-site.

http://mammothmountain.com/sharpshooter
(enter date 12/8/2013 and look for the Dave McCoy race photos in the "Filter by run" selection)