[FWM News] New Forerunner editor; Scholarship application deadline

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Tue Sep 10 09:47:02 PDT 2013

The weather is shifting to fall and the new ski season is not that far away!

We'll be getting membership application/renewal information out with the fall Forerunner newsletter
this month.  All recent members will receive a printed copy in the mail and everything will be
posted on the farwestmasters.org web site.  The 2014 race schedule was posted a few weeks ago, get
your copy from the web site here:

http://farwestmasters.org/#season_schedule

This week's news: we're welcoming Hamish Butler as the new editor of the Forerunner newsletter,
taking over from retired editor Ingrid Braun.  This week is also the deadline for junior athlete
scholarship awards, so encourage all deserving athletes to submit applications!

Hamish Butler in the gate as Forerunner

Welcome to Hamish Butler as our new VP of Communication and editor of the Forerunner newsletter!
Hamish stepped up to the call for volunteers and has agreed to take over producing our newsletter
from retiring editor Ingrid Braun. Thanks to Ingrid for the work she's done to get the newsletter
out to all of us.

Got stories, news, photos, ideas for the newsletter? Get in touch with Hamish at
forerunner at farwestmasters.org.

Scholarship application deadline
--------------------------------

Attention junior athletes, parents, and friends there-of! The deadline for submitting applications
for 2014 scholarships awards from the Far West Masters Scholarship Program is this week!
Applications are due by 5pm Sunday Sep 15.

We encourage all Far West Skiing Alpine athletes 14-20 years old to apply! We will occasionally
fund exceptional athletes who are 13 years old. We consider ALL eligible applications - first-time
applicants, past scholarship winners, and applicants who were not awarded scholarships in previous
years are all given equal consideration by the review board. Scholarships are awarded based on a
combination of (and in order of importance) exemplary work ethic, academic scholarship,
citizenship, financial need, and race results.

Athlete awards will be announced in November and funds placed in racers' accounts from which they
may draw on during the season for racing expenses. In return for funding, the Masters ask that
recipients forerun one of their races and speak at an awards ceremony. This experience has proven
to valuable and fun for the both athletes and the masters racers and sponsors who support this
program with their donations.

Questions? Contact program chairman Eddie Mozen (contact details are on the application form, see
links below).

Scholarship information on the Far West division site fwskiing.org:
http://www.fwskiing.us/#FW+Masters

Online application form:
http://www.fwskiing.us/Far_West_Masters_Scholarship.htm

Printable application form: