[FWM News] 2016 Race Schedule

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Tue Jul 28 09:38:18 PDT 2015

The preliminary 2015-2016 race schedule is now available. Schedule VP Mike Braun has worked hard to
put together a race schedule which offers competitors opportunities to compete in all disciplines
at areas around the Far West with a proven ability to host excellent events. Although there are
still a few details being settled, we believe the preliminary schedule is essentially complete and
should provide a fun season of racing opportunities.

http://farwestmasters.org/announcements/2016/FWM_Schedule_2016_preview.pdf

The season opens in December at Mammoth Mountain with two GS races on the weekend on Dec. 5-6,
following the now-traditional post Thanksgiving masters training camp week (preseason training camp
details will be posted when available). A north shore event prior to the holidays comes on Dec.
19-20 with 2 SL's at Alpine Meadows.

Following a break over the holiday period, which is always a busy time for most with family
gatherings and early season skiing, racing resumes on Tahoe's South Shore on Fri Jan. 8 with the
classic Viva Italia SL double-header at Heavenly Valley, followed by two additional days of GS
races at Heavenly. We're excited to try the new GS race hills that were homologated last winter as
Heavenly elevates its engagement with USSA racing. January wraps up with a return to Sugar Bowl on
Jan. 23-24 for two days of SL racing. It's been several years since we've had an event at Sugar
Bowl and this is a welcome return of an excellent race venue on our schedule.

Our Far West division schedule takes a short break in early February as competitors from throughout
the western region gather at Aspen CO the first week of February. The 2016 North American event on
the FIS International Masters Cup calendar is the FIS Masters Cup races on Feb. 4-7, with SL, two
GS races, and a SG. The FMC event is also the Western Region champships for 2016. Immediately
following the FMC event, racing continues for two days of DH competition on the Racer's Edge speed
venue at Buttermilk.

Far West racing resumes at Squaw Valley on Feb. 20-21 with the Bernard Cup trophy event - two SL
races on Saturday and GS on Sunday. February wraps up at Mammoth with two SG races on Feb. 27-28,
which also count as part of the season-long National Speed Series.

Racing moves back to the Tahoe region in March with two SG races at Northstar on Fri. Mar. 4 and
then another Far West Masters classic, the McKinney Cup at Mt. Rose on Mar. 5-6, which this year
will again feature 2 days of GS racing.

The highlight of the competition season for many is the annual Masters National Championship in
March. This year's championship returns to Big Sky MT the week of Mar. 13-19, hosted by Northern
division. Racing starts on Monday with two days of DH training and the national championship DH
race on Wednesday Mar. 16, followed by the SG, GS, and SL events on Thu-Sat Mar. 17-19.

The season finals returns to the south again this season, where we'll wrap up with 3 days of racing
at Mammoth on Mar. 31-Apr. 2. The finals will feature two SG races on Thursday, GS and SL on
Fri/Sat, and the season banquet on Saturday evening providing a chance for all to relax and
socialize after the end of racing.