[FWM News] Heavenly Valley

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Wed Jan 6 13:46:14 PST 2016

Happy New Year and Viva Italia.

It's looking good for Heavenly Valley this weekend.  The weather won't be sunny and warm, but so far there won't be so much snow that we won't be able to race.  The report this morning is that the hill is good with a solid surface.

Friday's slaloms will be on World Cup.  I believe the first start will be 9:30.  Check in at the California Lodge between 7:30 and 8:30.

The Saturday and Sunday GS will start on East Bowl.  Heavenly has or will make at least one pass with a groomer to assist with access.  Check in each day, again between 7:30 and 8:30 at the California Lodge.

Awards will be at the Pizza Hut on Saturday starting around 3 PM.

I'm looking forward to better quality racing than we had at Squaw.  Like everyone else I  was disappointed by the short course.  On Tuesday before the race I, along with a couple of other people, one representing the TD, decided that the access to Kangaroo, traversing from the Roundhouse lift, would be too difficult.  We had expected to be able to start higher on Exhibition, and indeed we trained there on Friday from  a higher start point.  Saturday morning the course crew was hitting rocks higher up and they determined to set the shorter course.  Had I known in advance I might have seriously considered calling the whole thing off.  Someone said to me once that the job of President was to get off races.  After our Squaw experience I think that has to be amended to getting off quality races.  One of the hardest decisions is to know when to cancel.  I welcome advice.  In any event we have two great series coming up this month, Heavenly and Sugar Bowl.  It looks like we will have plenty of snow.

See you this weekend.

Don't respond to this message-it goes  into a garbage can.  Contact me at president at farwestmasters.org.

Dan

Daniel L. Simmons