[FWM News] Passing of Eduardo “Buck” Thys

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Fri Jan 29 19:28:19 PST 2016

Colleagues:

“It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death of Buck Thys, a stalwart of Far West Masters Ski Racing.  The following was written by Mark Mirviss:

“Far West Masters, and the ski racing community, lost a great friend and devoted ski racer. Buck Thys died January 28, 2016, at the age of 86.

“True to his love of our sport, Buck was out skiing on his slalom skis Monday, January 25th, a gorgeous sunny day on his home mountain of Squaw Valley. As Buck took off his skis, on the deck of the locker room, he suffered a heart attack. Ski patrol, paramedics, and Doctor Rick Ganong, immediately attended to Buck.

“Buck was flown by air ambulance to Reno, where he passed away, peacefully, at 6:30 PM, January 28, 2016. His entire immediate family had gathered in Reno, and was at his side at the time of his passing.

“As sad as we all are, let’s remember how much we loved Buck, and how much his love for skiing and ski racing brightened all of our lives. He has left a true and everlasting legacy in this sport, not only by his lengthy participation in it, but by introducing his wife, Nina, and all of their offspring, to this wonderful sport. Please take a moment to remember Buck, and keep Nina, Ann, Beatrice, Barry and Edith in your thoughts, and in your hearts.”

I will forward information about a memorial service as I get it.

Dan

Daniel L. Simmons
President
Far West Masters Ski Racing