[FWM News] Mammoth Season Opener

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Sun Dec 3 14:24:37 PST 2017

The 2018 race season is under way!  We had a good opening event at Mammoth with two SL races.

Our next event will be in two weeks, returning to Mammoth for two GS races on Dec. 16-17.  After
the holiday break, racing continues at Heavenly on Jan. 5-7.  We will be racing on a different
venue than the World Cup race run many are familiar with - details will be posted soon!!

Mammoth SL results
------------------

The 2017-2018 race season opened with two SL races at Mammoth on Saturday Dec. 2. On a sunny and
breezy day, competitors were challenged to complete 4 full SL runs - definitely an ambitious task
for our first races of the season! Despite strong winds on the upper mountain ahead of a small
storm coming in Saturday night, the conditions on Andy's Double Gold were good all day. The crack
Mammoth Mountain Race Department crew nailed their schedule for the day, with every run starting
precisely on time, and provided us with 4 excellent courses for the day's competition.

Along with many familiar faces, we were pleased to welcome several new racers to our Far West
Masters racing. Newcomer Casey Edgeton paced a strong women's field in her first masters race,
demonstrating that her SL roots from Buck Hill were not forgotten by posting the fastest time of
the day for the entire field in the first race. Quick-footed Andrea Levy recovered her focus after
a first run DNF to take the women's title in the second race, placing a very impressive 5th
overall.

Newcomer Bjorn Vandug also made an impressive debut on the Far West circuit, winning the men's Open
class in the first race and placing second in the afternoon race. Scott Peer topped the field in
the second race for his first-ever MOP victory.

Many thanks to the Mammoth Race Department for hosting an excellent season opening event for us,
and congratulations to everyone who competed!! Complete results are posted on the Race Results page
along with the first Season Standings rankings for 2018.

http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2018/results
http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2018/standings