[FWM News] Bernard Cup results

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Sun Jan 21 20:33:49 PST 2018

Read in your web browser: http://farwestmasters.org/#bernard-cup-results

After a dry start to the season, we finally got some welcome snow from a fast-moving storm system
that cleared out just in time to bring blue skies and sparkling white snow for the 2018 Bernard Cup
races at Squaw Valley. Due to thin coverage on the lower mountain, the planned Friday GS was
cancelled but replaced by the addition of a second SL race on Saturday, leading to a rare SL
triple-header for the annual Bernard Cup trophy.

The event opened on Saturday with two SL races on the mid-mountain Motts race hill. It was a long
day on the race hill for both competitors and crew, but the racing was fun! Sunday was another nice
day, with temperatures warming slightly after a cool Saturday.

The Bernard Cup trophy is awarded to the man and woman with the fastest overall time for all three
races (definitely a challenge with SL!), using an age-handicap formula to allow comparisons across
a broad range of ages. The 2018 women's title went to Andrea Levy, who compensated for her youth in
W01 by putting up a series of fast runs to dominate the ladies. Tim Stewart from M09 took the men's
title with a strong return from the injury that ended his season early last spring. Congratulations
to Andrea, Tim, and everyone who raced this weekend!

Our thanks to Squaw Race Department for hosting our event, and congratulations to everyone who
competed!! Complete results are posted on the Race Results page along with the updated Season
Standings rankings for 2018.

http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2018/results
http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2018/standings