[FWM News] Heavenly and Squaw event results

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Jan 14 20:08:01 PST 2019

Read in your web browser:
https://farwestmasters.org/#heavenly-viva-italia-results
https://farwestmasters.org/#squaw-valley-report

It was an event-ful week in the Far West as we resumed racing following the holiday break. We had good SL races at Heavenly on Friday, while the weekend Bernard Cup races at Squaw unfortunately had to be cancelled. We are working on a proposal for rescheduling and will get updated information out to everyone as soon as possible.

In the meantime, enjoy the wet/snowy upcoming week depending on whether you're on the coast or in the mountains and don't forget our next event coming up at Mammoth on Thu-Sun Jan. 24-27 with 2 DH races and 3 SG races to challenge your Need for Speed!

_*Heavenly Viva Italia*_

Our January racing program in Far West started off with the classic Viva Italia Cup SL races at Heavenly Valley on Friday Jan. 11. The World Cup race run at the Heavenly California base has been a reliable and popular venue for many seasons. Although the hill is relatively short, snow conditions are often firm and the challenges of SL are supplemented by a warmup hike from the top of the lift up a short but steep pitch to the starting gate.
Heavenly welcomed us with clear weather and an enthusiastic course crew that kept the race day moving expeditiously through 4 runs of SL. The field of over 50 competitors featured an exceptionally young and strong women's field, with multiple women breaking into the overall top 10 in both races led by Casey Edgeton's smoking Buck Hill-honed charge keeping men's overall winner Ryan Ritchie working to hold his lead.

The day ended with a pizza party at the base of the race hill while the age handicap scoring was computed to determine the overall Viva Italia Cup winners. The trophy award went to two class 8 competitors who combined consistent fast skiing with sufficent age to edge ahead of the younger athletes in the final rankings. Former winner Deb Lewis took the ladies title, while hard-working TD Doug Fulton abandoned his "slalom boy" moniker to convincingly ascend to the Slalom King seat.

Complete results are posted on the Race Results <https://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2019/results> page along with the updated Season Standings <https://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2019/standings> rankings for 2019.

*_Squaw Valley Bernard Cup weekend_*
The planned Squaw Valley Bernard Cup SL/GS races on Jan. 12-13 had a complicated evolution in the week leading up to the event, switching from concerns of insufficient coverage on the Exhibition race run to concerns after weekend storms followed by midweek rain to whether the hill could safely be prepared for racing. The final decision was made on Thursday afternoon by Squaw that the races could not be held due to last-minute staffing issues.

The late-breaking race cancellation is extremely unfortunate and is sincerely regretted by the Far West Masters board and race organizing team. We are deeply aware of the commitment that our competitors make to plan their race participation, including travel time and reservations that many of us have to make to attend a race event.

On a positive note, we appreciate that Mark Mirviss and the Squaw masters coaches provided competitors already committed to coming to Squaw with a weekend alternative of free SL and GS training both days. Multiple reports have been received from participants that the training sessions were very good.

Discussions are in progress between Far West Masters and Squaw to assess the options for rescheduling the Bernard Cup and we'll announce a new schedule as soon as a satisfactory plan can be made.