[FWM News] Dave Smith; Squaw SL races next weekend

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Sun Dec 12 20:59:05 PST 2010

Dave Smith
----------

With sadness, we pass on the news from Dave Smith's wife that Dave
passed away last week on December 7. "It was a very tough battle the
last few months, but he fought hard, with much determination, courage
and strength. We miss him tremendously already."

Fellow racer Tim Stewart shared some of his memories of Dave:

The Far West Masters lost a valued member and I lost a friend this last
week. After a two year battle with brain cancer, Dave Smith died in
Sacramento last week. I first met Dave in New Zealand as our skiing
trajectories briefly crossed. I was leaving ski racing and becoming one
of the freestyle yahoos while Dave was starting to seriously polish his
ski racing skills. Twenty years and an ocean later our paths crossed
again - we both had sons doing Tahoe League races. A few years later I
tried my hand at Masters racing and Dave's times would routinely remind
me who was the better ex-New Zealand ski racer. Dave was a gifted and
dedicated pediatrician. He is survived by his wife Cookie, son Tim and
daughters Rebecca and Stephanie.
We share the loss felt by his family.

Squaw Valley SL weekend
-----------------------

This coming weekend Squaw Valley will host a pair of SL races on the
Exhibition race run. This should be a good event and a chance to get
your feet moving before the upcoming holiday break in the race
schedule. Please note that Squaw will not accept late entries after
Dec. 16, so be sure to get your entries in ASAP!

Take advantage of our new online race registration at SkiRaceReg.com to
take the pain out of mailing entries - once you've opened an account,
your race entries are merely a click away, no worrying whether mountain
postal delivery got through. If you have questions or need assistance
setting up your account, send a note to raceadmin at farwestmasters.org
and we'll help you through the setup process.

Race announcement:
http://farwestmasters.org/announcements/2011/RaceInfo_Squaw_Dec2010.pdf