[FWM News] Clarification about FW membership and online registration

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Thu Nov 18 13:54:21 PST 2010

A significant number of Far West racers seem to be finding the process
of activating an account on SkiRaceReg.com to be confusing.  The
wording on the signup and "renewal" pages of SkiRaceReg.com may be
somewhat confusing because there's not a clear distinction being made
there between "setting up your account on SkiRaceReg.com in order to
enter races" and paying your Far West Masters membership dues for the
season.  These are not the same thing and are handled completely
separately!!

So, let me try to explain what's going on...

(1) Far West Masters membership

Done the same we always have: there's a membership application for new
and renewing members that is MAILED or HANDED to Marcie Pettigrew, our
membership VP, along with a check for your FWM dues.  The Far West
Masters membership application was included with the fall issue of the
Forerunner newsletter that was mailed to all recent members in
September.

The application is also posted on our web site on the "How to Join"
page, which explains how to get your USSA masters competition license
and join Far West Masters.

http://farwestmasters.org/info/membership#fwmMembership

Most of you have probably already done this.  (The rest of you
people... send your membership renewal to Marcie ASAP!!)

(2) SkiRaceReg.com is for race entries.

The race registration web site does NOT handle Far West Masters
memberships, nor does it know whether you have paid your dues this
season.  Far West uses this service for race entries.  That's all -
only for race entries.

When you see wording on the signup or login pages that says you need to
"renew", translate that to "activate your SkiRaceReg.com account so you
can submit race entries online".  The terminology "renewing" that shows
up on the account signup pages came from usage by some other divisions
who process their membership dues through the system.  That is NOT
applicable for the Far West Masters race series - our membership is
handled separately and SkiRaceReg.com has no information on your FWM
membership status.

[We'll get the Member Lookup page on farwestmasters.org up-to-date at
the beginning of December so you can check your membership status
there.  It is NOT yet updated with this season's membership data]

In order to open your SkiRaceReg.com account so you can enter Far West
Masters races online for 2010-2011, you DO need to provide a credit
card number.  This establishes your payment information for any races
that you enter.  There is no charge for opening the account; there is
no charge for your Far West Masters membership through this system.
The credit card number that you provide to activate your SkiRaceReg.com
account is ONLY charged if and when you actually enter a race.

If you need further assistance with opening your account, you can send
a message to raceadmin at farwestmasters.org.

Please also be sure to check your spam filter settings and email blocks
so that you will recieve messages sent from skiracereg.com and
raceadmin at farwestmasters.org, as these two email addresses will be used
for communications through the race entry system.  (E.g., your login
help help message won't help if it can't get delivered to you because
you blocked the sender!)

~ Deb

Deb Lewis
Technical Director of Race Services and Scoring; Webmaster
Far West Masters
mailto:dlewis at farwestmasters.org
http://farwestmasters.org