[FWM News] Preseason News

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Oct 4 09:53:44 PDT 2010

Fall newsletter and membership packages are on their way...  We have
new sponsors and new bibs for all racers this season.

We've got information on preseason race events at several shops, where
you can meet with race reps and get set up with gear for the coming
season.  New FWM masters sponsor Reno Mountain Sports is holding their
event on Oct. 22 and through the weekend, while Command Performance
down in Mammoth will also have reps available that weekend.

Early season training camps info is being posted as available.  Mammoth
will host its traditional season-opening race camp week before our
opening GS races the first weekend of December; Carl Pomey is
interested in organizing a preseason technical camp; there's a
post-Thanksgiving masters training camp at Copper Mountain (host of
this season's national championships next March).

Fall officials clinic and board meeting will be Sat. Oct. 23.  Reno
Mountain Sports is holding their Race Night on Fri. Oct.22; Command
Performance in Mammoth is having their race weekend on Oct. 23-24.

Race Night Events
-----------------

Reno Mountain Sports will be hosting a Race Night Promotion Friday
October 22nd from 4:00 to 9:00 PM. Dave Garner and his shop staff will
be joined by reps from a long list of equipment vendors (too many to
include here, all the major suppliers will be there! see the web post
for details) with information, gear, and discounted pricing for FWM
members throughout the weekend.

Command Performance in Mammoth will also be holding their race kickoff
event the weekend of Oct. 23-24, for our members in Mammoth and SoCal
who may not be able to make it to Reno for the RMS event.

http://farwestmasters.org/#rms_race_night

Preseason Training Camps
------------------------

Mammoth will once again offer their full-week masters training camp on
Nov. 29-Dec. 3, following the Thanksgiving holiday and providing a
tuneup week going into the season opening GS races at Mammoth on Dec.
4-5.  Drills, gates, and video session with a focus on GS will be
provided, with coaches from the Mammoth masters and ski team.  You can
attend by the day or for the full week.  Details and info flyer from
MMRD posted on the web site.

Carl Pomey is looking for fellow racers who'd be interested in getting
together for a technical camp in November with coach Gregory Gurshman,
consultant/coach with the Austrian & Swiss ski federations.  Contact
Carl for details.

Gary Moss of the Rocky Masters has provided info on a Masters Nationals
Training Camp on Nov. 28-Dec. 3 (Sunday-Friday) at Copper Mountain CO,
host of this season's masters national championships in March.

http://farwestmasters.org/#preseason_camps

Fall Meetings
-------------

The annual masters officials training clinic and the fall board meeting
will be held Sat. Oct.23 at the home of Mark Smallhouse in southwest
Reno.  The officials clinic provides an annual refresher for our
licensed officials, as well as training for new officials. We are
always in need of volunteers who can officiate at our races and it's a
good way to meet people and learn more about our sport, so get in touch
with head official Don Smith to learn more.

New Bibs
--------

All members will be receiving new bibs this season.  We're welcoming
Reno Mountain Sports as our new bib sponsor this season, along with
continuing sponsor Lausmann Lumber as well as Skier's Edge.  Racers
with current bib numbers under 200 can retain their bib numbers by
renewing by the end of October.  Any current member can request a
different bib number, subject to availability.  See your membership
package for details and contact Marcie Pettigrew with any questions.

Fall Newsletter and Membership Package
--------------------------------------

Newsletter editor Ingrid Braun and Membership VP Marcie Pettigrew have
been putting together the fall Forerunner newsletter and the membership
information package.  The fall newsletter/membership package will be
mailed to all recent members, so if you've been a paid member anytime
in the past few seasons you should be receiving this soon.  If not,
contact Marcie and check whether your mailing address is up-to-date.

Reminder that the preliminary 2011 race schedule is posted on the web
site, along with membership application forms

http://farwestmasters.org/announcements/2011/FWM_Schedule_2011.pdf
http://farwestmasters.org/info/membership

Anyone who hasn't already gotten their USSA masters competition license
can renew online at ussa.org or mail a printed application.  Info and
links on on the FWM membership info page:

http://farwestmasters.org/info/membership#ussaMembership

NOTE: be sure that you fill out the form for an Alpine Masters license,
*not* the Alpine (junior) competition license.  You do *not* need to
pay the Far West division dues unless you are competing in non-masters
USSA races or work as an official.  Getting refunds for mistaken
membership payments isn't always easy, so best to make sure up front
you're getting the correct Masters license!