[FWM News] Criterium info, Ski Racing, web site improvements

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Thu Feb 2 13:23:58 PST 2012

February has arrived, and our warm, dry winter in the Far West is continuing after a very welcome
storm series finally arrived the second half of January to bring much-needed snowfall to the
Sierras.

Western Regionals competition starts today at Big Sky MT.  Results will be posted every evening on
ussamasters.org.

   http://ussamasters.org/2012/wr

The FIS Criterium is coming up at the end of March, hosted in our own Far West division by Mammoth
Mountain.  Since many of us have never had an opportunity to race international masters, see the
story below for some of the details about competing in this event.

Crack open the new issue of Ski Racing and head to Bill McCollum's Masters column for a great story
featuring a profile of new Far West racer Jeff Gray.

Finally, webmaster Deb Lewis is thrilled to announce that the online Member Lookup feature on the
web site is finally back.  We've also added a new Links page to provide links to good ski racing
related sites, including some good FW weather blogs for all you snow-fans out there.

FIS Criterium
-------------

The FIS international masters World Criterium is being held March 26-31 at Mammoth Mountain. The
Criterium is a premier event of the 2012 international masters competition season and a major event
that is expected to draw top competitors from around the world.

FIS international masters competitions are open to racers 30 years or older by Dec. 31, 2011. In
addition to your USSA alpine masters license, you'll need to purchase a FIS Masters license from
USSA - this is only $30, print out the application and mail to USSA by the Feb. 25 entry deadline.

There are no special equipment rules other than a minimum length requirement for SG skis - 185 cm
for men, 180 cm for women. (In past years FIS masters equipment rules have been different than USSA
masters rules, but this is no longer a concern.)

American racers who have competed in international masters events report that it's a great
experience and they have made friends from around the world. This is a unique opportunity to sample
international competition on our home slopes of the Far West and Mammoth has a well-earned
reputation for putting on outstanding events, so give some thought to this event if you aren't
already signed up!

FIS Criterium page on ussamasters.org (information, application and schedule links):
    http://ussamasters.org/2012/imc
FIS Masters license application:

http://ussa.org/sites/default/files/documents/membership/2011-12/documents/MembershipFIS_Alp_Master_2012.pdf
Mammoth Race Department - FIS Criterium event information:

http://www.mammothmountain.com/MountainActivities/WinterActivities/RaceDepartment/MastersWorldCriterium

Jeff Gray in Ski Racing
------------------------

Be sure to check out Bill McCollum's Masters column in the latest issue of Ski Racing. Always a
featured stop for regular fans, this one is of special interest to us here in the Far West with new
racer Jeff Gray featured as one of the competitors profiled.

Jeff describes his background and his path to the race hills this season. (He's not kidding about
hopping straight into a training course as his first run in years - eyewitnesses confirm he looked
pretty good after his layoff, too!) Great stuff, and we're thrilled to have Jeff and other new
racers joining us this season. The more people we get out to play with us, the more fun for all!

Props to Hamish Butler for helping Jeff find his way to our races. We should all think which of our
skiing friends might enjoy the challenge and camaraderie of masters and encourage them to try
racing with Far West Masters. Bring a friend!

http://www.skiracing-digital.com/skiracing/2012issue7#pg50

Web Site Improvements
---------------------

Online Member Lookup is back! You can now check your Far West membership status and related race
registration information (bib, age class, license status) using
the Member Lookup feature. Updates are reflected immediately when membership VP Marcie Pettigrew
processes membership applications and renewals.

We've also added a new Links page to collect useful links related to masters ski racing. Links to
some of our favorite weather forecast and blog sites are included.

Member Lookup:
    http://farwestmasters.org/services/member_lookup
Links:
    http://farwestmasters.org/links