[FWM News] Mammoth SG's changed to GS

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Tue Jan 10 21:09:30 PST 2012

The decision has been made by Far West Masters and Mammoth Race Dept.
to change the SG's scheduled on Jan. 20-22 to 3 GS races on Jan. 21-22.

There is no way we can safely run a speed event right now - the
coverage on the SG course World Cup run is solely man-made and there's
just not enough to set a speed course and safety fencing. Weather
forecasts are for continued dry and warm through this week; the longer
range forecast models into next week are still inconclusive, but even
with possible "pattern change" that would allow the storm track to
shift into the Sierras we have no reasonable prospect for conditions to
change significantly enough to make a speed event feasible.

So the decision to change from SG to GS is being made now to allow
competitors to adjust their plans. Mammoth will be offering open GS
training on Fri. Jan. 20, so competitors who have had limited training
opportunities at their home areas will have an opportunity to get on
the race hill for training.

Event schedule details will be available later this week. The plan is
to have 3 race runs (1-1/2 races) each on Sat and Sun Jan. 21-22.