[FWM News] Holiday Break, January races

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Tue Dec 31 09:15:23 PST 2013

Happy holidays to everyone! The 2013 year is winding down today with warm, dry, sunny conditions -
and reportedly the driest year ever recorded for California (not so great for Sierra skiing and
water supplies). Our Sierra ski areas are doing their best for the holiday crowds, with snowmaking
supplementing the rather meager snowfall so far this season. Even with the limited snow and terrain
available, there are opportunities to get out for some turns, so enjoy it for what it is and
appreciate that we get to be out playing on the ski slopes!

With the dry conditions forecast to continue into early January, race scheduling chief Mike Braun
is working closely with the organizers of our next scheduled races on Friday Jan. 10 at Heavenly (2
SL races) and Sat-Sun Jan. 11-12 at Sierra at Tahoe (2 GS races) to monitor conditions.

The current outlook is that Heavenly looks good to be able to hold the Viva Italia SL races, but
the GS races at Sierra at Tahoe may be at risk. Mike is exploring possible alternatives if schedule
changes are needed and we'll get details out as soon as possible to allow everyone to plan their
schedules and travel. In the meantime, keep an eye of the weather and check the farwestmasters.org
web site for updates.