[FWM News] Mammoth Conrado SG's

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Tue Jan 29 07:52:09 PST 2013

Despite iffy weekend weather outlook and thanks to outstanding support from Mammoth Mountain and
the Race Department, we had two good days of SG racing last weekend for the Rick Conrado Memorial
SG's, which were also part of the 2013 masters National Speed Series.

Our next races will be a 3-GS weekend at Mammoth on Feb 9-10, after a break in the schedule this
weekend for you Super Bowl fans.  Our February race schedule continues on Feb. 23-24 with the
annual Bernard Cup races at Squaw and winds up with FIS Masters Cup races at Mammoth on Feb.
28-Mar. 3.  Details and signup links are posted on the web site.

Mammoth Conrado SG's
--------------------

After weeks of sunny January weather, the Far West Masters broke down the persistent west coast
high pressure ridge by bravely scheduling... a speed event! Thursday's SG training day before the
3-day Rick Conrado SG event turned into a freshies day with 6-8" of new snow arriving as a warm
storm system brushed Mammoth on its way down the coast towards southern California. With forecasts
of iffy weather for the weekend, the planned race schedule was adjusted to try to find the best
weather window and the flexibility paid off with clearing conditions on Friday that held through
the arrival of a small cold front late Saturday.

Thanks to the weather break and some outstanding work by the Mammoth Race Department to prepare and
maintain the race venue, we had two good days of SG racing and completed 4 of the 5 scheduled
races, losing only the last race on Sunday morning to another powder day. With two of the four
races counting for the 2013 National Speed Series, the Far West field was enhanced by visiting
speedsters from Rocky, Intermountain, and PNSA.

Complete results are posted on the Race Results page along with the updated Season Standings
rankings for 2013. The first race each day was counted for the 2013 National Speed Series standings:

http://ussamasters.org/2013/nss

SG Scoring Note: for the 2013 season scoring, Open class for SG has been changed to use the same
system as for SL/GS tech events: the top 5 women and top 10 men qualify for Open class (with
"opt-out" for anyone who wishes to remain in their age class for season scoring). If anyone was
scored in OP because opt-out request to stay in age class was missed, please contact Scoring
Director Deb Lewis to request correction.