[FWM News] Mammoth Speed races changed to GS

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Sat Jan 10 15:28:42 PST 2015

With great regret, the decision has been made after meeting today with the Mammoth Mountain Race
Department that there will be no speed races in two weeks on our scheduled event dates of Thu-Sun
Jan. 22-25. There were 2 DH races and 4 SG races on the schedule but coverage is thin on the race
hills and there are no reasonable prospects on the forecast charts for any significant snowfall
events in the coming week. In recognition of the time and travel commitments of competitors for a
speed event, we have made the decision that it will not be possible to run a safe speed event in
two weeks.

We WILL be racing at Mammoth, however! Race director Mike Braun met with MRD and the revised race
schedule will be to hold 3 GS races on the weekend of Sat-Sun. Jan. 24-25. On Saturday, we will
hold two GS races on Andy's Double Gold, the primary race hill with the best coverage. On Sunday,
we will be able to run a long GS with a high start at Redelsbergers Bump (the terrain breakover at
the end of the upper pitch of the SG track), which will provide a high quality full-length GS.

We regret the need to change the schedule, but felt it best to make the decision now in recognition
of the continuing warm and dry conditions that are affecting all our ski areas in the Sierras and
allow competitors to adjust their travel plans accordingly. On a positive note, these will be our
first GS races of the season, after 3 SL events, so break out the GS boards and get warmed up for a
solid weekend of racing on the reliable Mammoth venues.