[FWM News] Upcoming races

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Jan 19 15:40:24 PST 2015

Greetings everyone.  This is one of those good news/bad news sort of messages.  The good news first-I hear that the track is in good shape for our upcoming GS races at Mammoth.  The weather looks good-which unfortunately means no new snow for a while. It's not too late to sign up.  The deadline is Thursday.

The Bad News-we are pulling the plug on the scheduled make-up GS races at Squaw Valley scheduled for February 7 and 8.  Scheduling against the FIS and Western Regional event at Aspen generated a significant level of concern regarding the precedent of scheduling a divisional event in conflict with national events hosted by another region.  While the conflict may affect only a few people, I am sympathetic to the view that we should leave the schedule open during national events that our division had previously agreed to support.  I think we would be equally frustrated if we were sponsoring a major event and one of the nearby divisions scheduled a conflicting race.  Also, we are a part of a national organization that is important to the maintenance of our own program and we need to remain supportive of the national program.  I recognize that this decision will disappoint those of you who were planning to attend the Squaw event and the people at Squaw Valley who have gone out of their way to accommodate our races-to those of you I can only offer my apology.

I hope we see some more snow soon so we can pull off the rest of the season.

Dan

Daniel L. Simmons
President
Far West Masters Ski Racing