[FWM News] Open Seed Revisions

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Fri Oct 30 21:01:37 PDT 2015

The Far West Masters Board of Directors met last week and made some significant changes to the open seed and leader bib scoring at our races.  The Board revised the open seed because many of the top ten racers have come from class 8 and have opted out of the open class because the open class start was after the class 8 start.  The Board hopes to encourage more of our top racers to compete against each other in the open class.  The most significant change is that competitors in what we will now call the "open class" will race both runs within their respective age groups (rather than a separate start) and leader bibs will be awarded for the year based on standings in the open class.  Here's how it will work-

*         Competitors will elect to compete in the open class, either for the season, or at sign-up on each race day.  Thus, anyone can compete in the open class on a daily basis or for the season.  If no election is made, competitors will be scored in their age class, i.e. anyone who does nothing (no election) regarding open class will race in their age class.  Anyone may elect to compete in the open class.  There neither will   be a limit to participating in the open class nor open class seeding based on the top ten finishers in the first run.

*         Competitors who elect to race in the open class will start within their age groups for both runs.  We will continue to use the current start order procedures for the first and second runs within the age classes.

*         After the race, competitors who have elected for the season or for the day to compete in open class will be scored as a separate class and awarded finish standing and race points based on their finish times among open class competitors.

*         Competitors who have not elected to compete in the open class will be awarded finish standing and points in their age class.

*         At the end of the season, blue and yellow leader bibs for men and ladies will be awarded on the basis of open class standings for the season.

The Board also decided to base our points on the current World Cup 100 point system that gives points to the top thirty finishers in a class, rather than the top 15.

Daniel L. Simmons
President
Far West Masters Ski Racing
14790 Slalom Way