[FWM News] Heavenly Outlook

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Sun Dec 24 16:51:33 PST 2017

Read in your web browser: http://farwestmasters.org/news#heavenly-outlook

Good news, bad news on the eve of the Christmas holiday... Santa has brought a continuing stretch
of sunny and warm weather to the Far West!! Pleasant for celebrating holidays with family and
friends. Not quite so good for our Sierra ski areas however.

The Heavenly race organizers have been in touch with the Far West Masters and the outlook is not
good for our Viva Italia Cup races scheduled on Jan. 5-7. Heavenly has been unable to make snow on
the World Cup SL race hill due to temperature inversions; snowmaking is underway higher up the
mountain on the Stagecoach GS venue but the terrain is limited and coverage is not currently
adequate to provide a proper racing surface.

Current weather forecasts provide some hope for changes in the current pattern during the first
week of January, but that is still in the iffy stages of reliability. We will be considering
options over the next few days and will try to make a definite announcement by later in the week to
allow everyone to make any necessary adjustments to travel and race plans.