[FWM News] Mammoth weekend update: powder!!

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Thu Jan 19 10:04:51 PST 2017

There will be no racing this weekend at Mammoth.

The first of a series of 3 storms (the small one!) brought another 20-30" of snow overnight; the
second storm on Friday could bring another foot.  There may be a break in the storms on Saturday
before a third storm is predicted to move in sometime Sunday.

With all the new snow and avalanche closures currently limiting access to the open mountain, it
will definitely not be possible to prepare the SG speed venue and even getting cats on the
front-side GS race hill is difficult given the amount of work needed to keep Mammoth Mountain
operating over the next few days.

Given the weather and snow conditions and likelihood of difficult travel on both Friday and Sunday,
Far West Masters and Mammoth Race Department are in agreement that there will be no racing this
weekend.

We are working now on rescheduling these races (along with the cancelled Heavenly Viva Italia), so
we'll get updated schedule information announced as soon as we can work out details.

On the positive side, January is now a record-breaking snow month in the Sierras, so we can all
look forward to great conditions when the storms clear and a long season lasting well into the
spring!