[FWM News] Mammoth DHs cancelled

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Jan 16 10:21:36 PST 2017

After meeting with Mammoth Race Department and reviewing snow conditions
and weather forecasts, we have reluctantly decided to cancel the
Thursday-Friday downhill races.  There is high certainty of a fairly
strong storm moving in Wednesday night and lasting through at least
Thursday, with high winds and potentially 1-2 ft of additional snow. 
Outlook for Friday is still unknown.  We will certainly lose Thursday
training and likelihood is that Friday will still be subject to
avalanche closures and wind. So downhill will regrettably not be

We will continue to plan on holding the scheduled SG races on the
weekend, but will meet again with MRD on Thursday morning to review
conditions and updated weather forecasts for the weekend, which
currently call for a break on Saturday.  If we believe it will not be
possible to prepare the speed track, the fallback plan is to switch to
GS races.  Even with avie closures higher up, Mammoth grooming crews
will be able to access the front-side race hills through the storm to
pack the race venues.

Online registration deadline on SkiRaceReg.com/fw will be extended to
Thursday night at 8pm.  We ask everyone to be flexible and be prepared
to switch from SG to GS if the conditions require.  

In light of the uncertain schedule, we will NOT charge late fees for
this event.  Go ahead and submit your race entries, you will have until
Thursday evening to cancel if necessary.

We will have another update for everyone on Thursday morning.

More information about the News mailing list