[FWM News] Mammoth Speed Races info

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Fri Jan 13 15:05:38 PST 2017

It's been a pretty wild couple of weeks in the Sierras - we're having a real winter!! After a major 
storm last week that brought feet of snow, a stronger weekend storm with rain and snow and 
dangerous travel conditions that forced cancellation of our Heavenly races, and another series of 
storms this past week with rare blizzard warnings from the National Weather Service that dumped 
more feet of snow and brought road closures, power outages, and extreme avalanche risk throughout 
the region, even the hardiest of us are ready for some sunshine and copious amounts of fresh powder 
this weekend. 

The next races on our Far West Masters schedule are coming up next week and Mammoth Mountain. We 
have two downhill races scheduled on Thu-Fri Jan. 19-20 and three SG races on Sat-Sun Jan. 21-22. 
The first DH and first SG are included in the 2017 National Speed Series, which kicks off this 
weekend with DH races in Rocky at Ski Cooper. 

Mammoth Mountain is digging out and reopening terrain as the weather clears this weekend. Given the 
prodigous amount of new snow, there's a lot of work ahead to do avalanche control and regain access 
to the speed track venue on World Cup at the base on Cornice Bowl. We are also monitoring weather 
forecasts for next week to see if the clear weather will hold through the week to enable the race 
crews to prepare a safe track for downhill racing starting with Thursday's training day. 

After consulting today with Mammoth Race Department, we plan to make a decision by mid-day Monday 
on whether we will be able to hold the downhills. If we lose the downhill races, we will still hold 
to the weekend SG schedule - 2 SG Sat, 1 Sun (and possibly we could add a second SG on Sunday, 
conditions permitting). If there are weather issues with the SG races on the weekend, we may 
consider switching to GS as a backstop option. Everything will depend on the condition of the race 
hill and next week's weather, so be flexible and we'll get updated information out as soon as any 
decisions are made. 

Registration is open on SkiRaceReg.com/fw; early registration deadline is Sunday 1/15. Registration 
will close on Tue 1/17 at 8pm. Remember that you can cancel anytime until close of registration 
without penalty, and no entry fees are charged if an event must be cancelled, so get your entries 
in now and stay tuned for updated information in the coming days.

Race registration:

Race information:

Race announcement from Mammoth Race Department:

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: FWM-RaceInfo-Mammoth-Dec-2016.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 169639 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.farwestmasters.org/pipermail/news/attachments/20170113/3fcdc13f/attachment-0002.pdf>
-------------- next part --------------

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: RaceAnnouncement-Mammoth-Jan2017-Malonson-Memorial.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 157364 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.farwestmasters.org/pipermail/news/attachments/20170113/3fcdc13f/attachment-0003.pdf>
-------------- next part --------------

More information about the News mailing list