[FWM News] Mammoth SG's, FW Fiesta

Far West Masters news news at lists.farwestmasters.org
Mon Jan 24 14:58:57 PST 2011

We had a great weekend of SG racing at Mammoth!  Next weekend is an off
weekend on our race schedule, with the Western Regional championships
coming up the following week of Feb. 3-6 at Mammoth.  Our clear, dry
weather from a strong high pressure ridge is continuing to hold on all
the weather forecasts, so the outlook is promising for good weather and
excellent racing conditions for regionals next week.

If you're in the Tahoe area this coming weekend, check out the Far West
division's Fiesta at Squaw, a fundraiser for junior athlete
development; even if you can't make it, check out their online trivia
quiz where you can win prizes - this week's questions are about
masters, so we've all got a chance to win!

Mammoth SG's - "Spring Fling" racing!
-------------------------------------

It was springtime in January as 3 days of SG racing at Mammoth Mountain
featured fantastic weather and racing conditions. The weather provided
comfortable temps in the 40's (perfect for stripping to speed suits),
light winds, and sun or light overcast all weekend, yet the
north-facing track from Hair Jump at the base of Cornice Bowl down onto
Terrie's run held up well and provided excellent racing through 2 runs
each day. Each day's course featured a different course setter to
provide an interesting and challenge range of courses.

Open training on the race venue was available to all competitors on
Thursday, with a timed training run on Friday morning providing all an
opportunity to experience the race venue at speed. The opening race on
Friday afternoon and the morning race on Saturday were the opening
events of the 2011 National Speed Series and we welcomed several
travelling racers from PNSA and Rocky. Following the second race on
Saturday, competitors split up to enjoy the free-skiing or relax at the
end of the day before gathering for a post-race party at Giovanni's
pizza, where raffle prizes and race video and plenty of pizza gave
everyone a chance to unwind. Sunday's wrapup day offered two more races
on the fastest course of the weekend, leaving everyone with a final
shot of adrenaline to close out an outstanding weekend.

See the Race Results page on the web site for complete weekend results
and the updated Season Standings rankings for 2011.

  http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2011/results
  http://farwestmasters.org/raceinfo/2011/standings

Speed series standings are on the NSS results page at
http://ussamasters.org./2011/nss

FW Skiing Fiesta Fundraiser

The Far West division is holding the Fiesta Fundraiser next Saturday
Jan. 29 at the Olympic Village Lodge at Squaw Valley, with all proceeds
going towards athlete development. The event features food, music,
raffles, and some great auction items. There are also prizes for an
online trivia question contest - this week's questions are about our
own Far West Masters scholarship program, so we masters should have an
advantage! Details are available on the http://www.fwskiing.us web site.